When is mould a problem?
You know you have mould when you smell the “musty” odour or see small black or white specks along your damp bathroom or basement walls. Mould is often found in areas where water has damaged building materials and furniture from flooding or plumbing leaks. Mould often grows in rooms with both high water usage and humidity, such as kitchens, bathrooms, laundry rooms, and basements. If you notice mould or know of water damaged areas in your home, it is time to take action to control its growth. Mould can be dangerous to your health! 1 in 10 people suffer from Asthma.
Can I be exposed to mould?
When moulds are disturbed, they release spores into the air. You can be exposed by breathing air containing these mould spores. You can also be exposed through touching mouldy items, eating mouldy food or accidental hand to mouth contact.
What makes moulds grow in my home?
Mould enters your home as tiny spores. The spores need moisture to begin growing, digesting and destroying. Moulds can grow on almost any surface, including; wood, ceiling tiles, wallpaper, paints, carpet, sheet rock, and insulation. The mould grows best when there is lots of moisture from a leaky roof, high humidity, or flood. There is no way to get rid of all moulds and mould spores from your home. But you can control mould growth by keeping your home dry.
How long before I will be able to enter the property again after treatment?
Our system means that unlike other companies we do not require you to vacate your home for an extended amount of time.
I have chemical Allergies. Are the products safe?
Our products have been skin tested. They are proven to be effective, low/non allergenic and are biodegradable. They have been used in many homes where the occupants have compromised immune systems, with no effects at all. Please contact us if you have any concerns.
What should I do if I find mould in my home?
If you are a Property Manager or Homeowner
- Don’t panic! The presence of mould does not necessarily mean that you or the building occupants could have adverse health effects or have even been exposed
- Do not disturb the mould since this could help the mould in shedding more spores into the air
- If what you suspect to be mould covers more than 2 square metres, seek the advice of our consultants immediately. Avoid exposing yourself or others to mould
Should I be concerned about serious health risks from mould?
- It is important to note that everyone is exposed to mould spores on a daily basis. Mould grows naturally in our outdoor environment.
- Mould is known to be an allergen and some cases toxic.
- Any mould contamination existing inside buildings and homes should be eradicated
- Individuals with immune or respiratory problems, pregnant women, the elderly, and children may be at increased risk of illness from moulds.
What are the health effects of mould?
Health effects of mould are dependent upon the individual, length of exposure, and volume of spores inhaled or ingested. Some effects include, but are not limited to:
- chronic headaches
- eyes, nose and throat irritation
- chronic fatigue
- asthma/respiratory problems
How common is mould in buildings?
Mould is very common in our homes and buildings. The most common mould found in our homes is mould found on bread. All moulds are not harmful. But infestations of mould need to be controlled immediately upon discovery.
How do moulds get inside and how do they grow?
Mould spores may enter your home through open doorways, windows, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems. Spores may also attach themselves to people, animals, toys, shoes, and carry bags bringing the mould indoors.
Many building materials provide nutrients that allow the mould to cultivate when exposed to moisture. Wet materials, including paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products, are primary sites for mould growth. Other materials such as dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation materials, drywall, carpet, and upholstery, also support the growth of mould.
How do I know if I have a mould problem?
A visual examination is the most dependable means of identifying a mould problem. Musty odours or changes in health could be the first signs of mould in your home. Some signs to look for would be standing water, condensation on windows, floods, or roof leaks – all of which could lead to mould growth. Mould may grow in your wall cavities or attic spaces where it is not easily found.
How do you keep mould out of buildings and homes?
Buildings should be inspected on a regular basis for evidence of water damage. Conditions such as water leaks, flooding, condensation or excessive humidity should be corrected immediately upon discovery to prevent mould from growing.
Can I make my landlord test my apartment for mould?
No. If you believe you have a mould problem, you will need to take pictures and document your problem. An independent Indoor Air Quality test from a registered laboratory would record the level of mould spores present.
Should I paint over mould?
No. Mould is an allergen and must be removed to rid the home or building of its effects.