1. Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mould exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints.

2. There is no practical way to eliminate all mould and mould spores in the indoor environment; the way to control indoor mould growth is to control moisture.

3. If mould is a problem in your home or school, you must clean up the mould and eliminate sources of moisture.

4. Mould growth can be prevented by immediately fixing water problems and leaks.

5. Reducing indoor humidity (to 30-60%) will decrease mould growth. Humidity can be decreased by: venting bathrooms, dryers, and other moisture-generating sources to the outside; using air conditioners and de-humidifiers; increasing ventilation; and using exhaust fans whenever cooking, dishwashing, and cleaning.

6. Cleaning and drying any damp or wet building materials and furnishings within 24-48 hours will prevent mould growth.

7. It is important to clean mould off hard surfaces with water and detergent, and dry completely. Absorbent materials such as ceiling tiles, that are mould affected, may need to be replaced.

8. Preventing condensation will prevent mould: Reduce the potential for condensation on cold surfaces (i.e., windows, piping, exterior walls, roof, or floors) by adding insulation.

9. Carpet should not be installed in areas where there is a perpetual moisture problem (i.e., by drinking fountains, by sinks, or on concrete floors with leaks or frequent condensation).

10. Moulds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any substance, providing moisture is present. There are moulds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, and foods.

Before and After